When the merchant fleet was created many years ago, the port in Warnemünde needed to be better organised. So in 1836, a guiding light was built. The guiding light consisted of an iron frame which held a mirror and a lantern with a petroleum light that hung freely in the tower. As the port facilities grew, a proposal was submitted to convert the port light into a fixed lighthouse. Between 1897 and 1898 the lighthouse as we see it today was built. The light in the lighthouse was first operated with petroleum which had to be pumped up from the cellar. In 1917, it switched to gas and since 1927, the lantern with the domed copper roof has been operated with an electric light.
VIEW OVER WARNEMÜNDE
The white, glazed brick lighthouse stands at 30.60 meters tall. The lighthouse galleries offer breathtaking views of Warnemünde, the Baltic Sea, the beach and the entry to the port. The Warnemünde lighthouse is often used as a venue for many local events, such as “Lighthouse in flames”, for example. At the foot of the lighthouse is Warnemünde’s famous “Teapot”, a small round building with an unusual shaped roof.
HISTORIC ANECDOTES ABOUT THE LIGHTHOUSE
In 1202, the first beacon was lit on the Swedish coast of the Baltic Sea on the Falsterbø peninsula. The flame in Warnemünde lighthouse has been burning since 1348. Centuries later, in 1897/98, the German Reich financed the construction of the lighthouse for 90,000 German Marks. The 36.9 m lighthouse towers over the Baltic Sea and is built on 33 piles so that it remains stable despite its height. For example, with a wind strength of 6 to 7, the top of the lighthouse only sways by 1.5 cm. In 1912, the petroleum light was replaced by lightbulbs and since then the light has been visible from a distance of up to 16 nautical miles. From the sea, the light flashes a 90-second light code, which is indicated in sea charts and also tells the sailors which lighthouse they are close to. If the light could not be seen in bad weather, the lighthouse keeper would ring bells to tell the sailors that they were close to land. From 1900, a fog signal cannon was sounded and since 1927, a fog signal horn – referred to as the “sea cow” by local – has been used.